I think that these are the key life lessons that will lead to a happy life.
In a very short space of time His Lordship taught me the following, all through leading by example:
- Choose to spend your time with people who love and accept you, and enrich your life.
- Listen to your body – get sufficient sleep to restore your energy levels.
- Practice portion control. It’s perfectly acceptable to leave food on your plate.
- Spend time relaxing outdoors in warm sunshine.
- Recognise that you truly deserve all the compliments and affection you receive.
- Only do that with which you are comfortable. If you feel uncomfortable with something, walk away.
- Learn to adapt to new environments in order to find out where you belong.
- If you need or want something, ask. You just might get lucky.
- Be patient. Better things are coming your way. Then, show gratitude.
- Make fun, play and exercise a regular feature in your life.
Now, no-one is perfect. So although I have learnt a great deal from His Lordship, there are a few caveats that I also picked up along the way from his less-than-stellar examples…
- When giving someone a gift, make sure that it is something that they will like. Just because you think it’s awesome doesn’t mean that they will too.
- Certain health and hygiene routines are best done in private. Although we all appreciate cleanliness, we don’t always want to watch the process.
- It is not necessary to loudly announce your arrival. Every time.
- If you make a mess, clean up after yourself. Before someone else feels obliged to do so.
- You only have to be demanding once for people to change their perception of you.
- If you know that someone has a favourite chair in their lounge, don’t sit there.
- Even though you might consider yourself a foodie, remember that people are more important than food.
- Simply helping yourself to something without permission is not borrowing: it’s theft.
- If someone gives you a gift and you’re not sure what it is, remember that it might have uses beyond being food or a potential pillow.
- Standing motionless after you break wind is a dead giveaway.
What essential life lessons have you learnt?